SHOLVER AND MOORSIDE COMMUNITY TEAM
5TH ANNUAL FLOWER & VEGETABLE SHOW
(including Craft, Home produce, Floral Art,
Photography and Junior Classes)
SATURDAY, 21st AUGUST 2021
TO BE HELD AT THE SHOLVER & MOORSIDE COMMUNITY CENTRE
SHOLVER LANE, MOORSIDE, OLDHAM, OL1 4NT
Open to the public 1.00 – 4.00 p.m.
PRESENTATION OF TROPHIES 2.00 p.m
AUCTION OF PRODUCE AT 3.45 p.m.
Hello from the Sholver and Moorside Community Team – we are excited to announce that our 5th annual Flower and Vegetable Show will take place on Saturday, 21st August 2021
Like a lot of other organisations we were disappointed to be unable to have an actual Show in 2020 but were delighted by the response we had to our VIRTUAL show, attracting 350 + entries in a photographic format. A massive thank you to our judges for taking the time to study all the photographs !!,
As well as the Flower and Vegetable classes the Show includes classes for floral art, handicrafts, home produce, photography and a junior section, there will also be flower arranging demonstrations, horticultural craft demonstrations, a tombola stall, refreshments and will close with an auction of lots of the exhibited produce.
Entries can be made on the morning of the Show between 8.45 a.m and 10.45 a.m ( Entry Forms available on the day of the show or earlier by request – telephone and email contacts below)
If you are unable to attend on the morning of the 21st please contact the Secretary by
email (email@example.com) or telephone (07890 501961) and we shall try
wherever possible to make alternative arrangements.
Look forward to seeing you at the Show !!
Sholver & Moorside Community Team (Flower & Vegetable Show Committee)
Joyce Ward (Show Secretary), Rose Johnstone, Elaine Howarth
Telephone : 07890 501961
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
The hall will be open for registration of entries between 8.45 a.m and 10.30 a.m. on the morning of the Show on Saturday, 17th August.
Registration closes at 10.30 a.m. prior to the start of judging at 10.45 a.m. If you need any help or assistance please ask a Steward.
Judging will take place between 10.45 a.m and 12.15 p.m.
The hall will be open to the public for viewing and other entertainment and activities from 1.00pm onwards. Admission to the hall will be free.
Flowers and Vegetables: Anthony Noblet
Home Produce: Vicky Noblet
Handicrafts and Junior Section Anthony and Vicky Noblet
Photography: Robert Cragg and Lisa Marie Gee
1st £5 2nd £2 3rd £1
Best in Show (Floral) – sponsored by Sholver and Moorside Community Team
Best in show (Vegetable) – the Jack Leeson trophy – sponsored by Joyce Ward
Best in Show (Home Produce) – sponsored by Sholver and Moorside Community Team
Best in Show (Handicraft) – the Ken Laming trophy
We are indebted to the Judges for their interest in our show and the time and trouble they take to give a fair assessment.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- All floral and vegetable exhibits must have been grown in the exhibitors garden, allotment or community project.
- Entrants can only enter a maximum of 3 photographs per class
- Photographs (not including any white printed border) must be a minimum of 5 inches by 7 inches (12.7 cm x 17.8 cm)
- No photographs can be exhibited in a frame (wooden, card, plastic etc) or on a mount though a white printed border is allowed.
- Entry fee of 50p per entry to be paid to the Show secretary before entries are exhibited (either by cash or cheque). Junior classes are exempt from charges but children entering adult classes must pay the entry fee.
- Entries to be staged before 10.30 a.m. and the room cleared for the judging by 10.45 a.m.
- No person shall be allowed into the exhibition hall after judging has commenced except for appointed stewards of the Sholver and Moorside Community Team.
- No exhibitor must touch or move their exhibits until the show has officially closed.
- The judges’ decisions are final
- The judges shall have the power to withhold prizes, in any class or classes in which, in their opinion the exhibits are of insufficient merit or not sufficiently numerous.
- Judges shall have the power to award extra prizes in any class or classes, where, in their opinions, the exhibits are of sufficient merit.
- All matter not provided for in the rules shall be referred to the Committee whose decision will be final.
- Although every care will be taken, the Committee will not be held responsible for damage done to, or loss of, any exhibitor’s property during the show.
HINTS AND TIPS FOR EXHIBITING – Flowers and Vegetables
The following should, hopefully, make showing easier and more productive. See also the Royal Horticultural Society Website (www.rhs.org.uk) should you require further clarification.
- Please read all the rules and the schedule carefully
- Remember to arrive with your exhibits at the correct time
- Always check the number of exhibits required in a class e.g. 3 medium tomatoes – an incorrect number will be disqualified and the exhibitor card marked NAS (not as schedule)
- Please pay attention to the appearance of your exhibits, they should be clean and fresh and free from major blemishes and pests.
- Try to display as attractively as possible
- If you do clean and prepare your exhibit do so as gently as possible – highly polished items will be seen as unnatural, exhibits with skins rubbed off will be marked down.
- Always try to display exhibits of similar size and shape, this will look better and may receive a more favourable decision from the judges.
- Remember that entering the show is a fun way of showing your creative talents so ENJOY